PARIS, BALIPOST.com – Karolina Plikosva’s victory at the Zhengzhou Open at the weekend means the Czech is now just 86 points behind Ashleigh Barty who remains at the top of the WTA rankings released on Monday.
Pliskova claimed her fourth title of the year as she defeated Petra Martic in a rain-disrupted final in Zhengzhou on Sunday.
After the 6-3, 6-2 win, the 27-year-old said that taking top spot from the Australian was “not my goal for now”.
“My goal is to play well, which I’m trying to play. So that’s my goal for now and to enjoy and to (not) really stress about results,” she said. (AFP)
WTA rankings as of September 16:
1. Ashleigh Barty (AUS) 6,501 pts
2. Karolína Pliskova (CZE) 6,415
3. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 5,131
4. Naomi Osaka (JPN) 4,846
5. Bianca Andreescu (CAN) 4,835
6. Simona Halep (ROU) 4,803
7. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 4,326
8. Kiki Bertens (NED) 4,325
9. Serena Williams (USA) 3,935
10. Belinda Bencic (SUI) 3,738