British heavyweight boxing challenger Anthony Joshua poses before a poster of the upcoming "Clash on the Dunes" fight between him and Mexican-American heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz Jr, set to take place in December, at a press conference in Diriya on the western outskirts of the Saudi capital Riyadh on September 4, 2019. (Photo by Fayez Nureldine / AFP)

NEW YORK, BALIPOST.com – Anthony Joshua says he has been forced to make “drastic changes” to his lifestyle in a bid to win back the heavyweight titles he lost to Andy Ruiz earlier this year.

Joshua, the former IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight world champion, was knocked out by Ruiz in New York in June in one of the biggest upsets in boxing history.

Dethroned champion Joshua says the magnitude of the loss has forced him to evaluate every aspect of his life as he prepares to face Ruiz in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia on December 7th.

“There will be no aftershock after the first fight. I will be smarter. Getting knocked down was good,” Joshua told AFP.

Baca juga:  Ruiz Jr to 'make more history' against Joshua in contentious Saudi rematch

“If I am smarter, I know I can pull it off. I don’t want to say it will be ‘Joshua 2.0 – I know what I was doing before was working, I just have to tweak little things and I will be perfect. Losing speeds up that process.

“I have made some drastic changes, lifestyle stuff. Family, circles, what is important, priorities. The effort it takes to stay on the straight and narrow is challenging. I have to understand I am aiming to be a top athlete.

“Boxing was always the easiest part for me. The struggle was always keeping my life in check. If I can do that, the boxing will fall into place.

Baca juga:  Boxing great Lomachenko eyes a different catch before he is 40

“There were distractions away from the ring but I never complained. He beat me fair and square, I had those distractions and I now have to make it better for myself.”

 

– Journalist murder –

December’s rematch is mired in controversy as the Saudis have faced intense diplomatic fallout over last year’s murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the conservative kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul.

Saudi rulers have utilised sport as a tool to try and soften their international image and to provide a showcase, they claim, for reforms inside the oil-rich state.

In February, they hosted a first European Tour golf event which was won by former world number one Dustin Johnson while the world’s most gruelling motor sports race, the Dakar Rally, will be held in the country in 2020.

Baca juga:  Lochte targets Tokyo after comeback swim

Joshua however insists the staging of the fight in Saudi Arabia can be a force for good.

“I have heard it (the issue of human rights) ever since the fight was announced, it’s a point of conversation but it’s a good thing that we are talking about it and they are acting on it to make a change,” said Joshua who was in New York on the second leg of a three-city media tour to publicise the fight. (AFP)

BAGIKAN

TINGGALKAN BALASAN

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

CAPCHA * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.