Harvey Weinstein exits court after an arraignment over a new indictment for sexual assault on August 26, 2019 in New York City. Spencer Platt/Getty Images/AFP

NEW YORK, BALIPOST.com – A US judge on Monday postponed Harvey Weinstein’s sexual assault trial until next year, after New York prosecutors filed a new indictment that will allow an actress to testify against the fallen movie mogul.

Weinstein, 67, pleaded not guilty to charges of predatory sexual assault relating to two women in a fresh indictment amended so that the actress, another of Weinstein’s accusers, can give evidence as a corroborating witness.

The indictment is effectively the same as an earlier indictment and the two are likely to be merged eventually.

One of the women alleges Weinstein raped her in 2013, while the other claims he forcibly performed oral sex on her in 2006.

Documents released after the 15-minute hearing in a New York state court showed that a third women alleges she was sexually assaulted by Weinstein over the winter of 1993-94 in Manhattan.

The woman’s name is redacted, but lawyer Gloria Allred said it was her client Annabella Sciorra, known for her Emmy-nominated work on the hit television series “The Sopranos.”

“I commend Annabella for her willingness to take the stand and answer questions under oath,” Allred, who also represents one of the two alleged victims in the charge sheet, said in a statement.

Sciorra, 59, helped trigger the #MeToo movement in October 2017 when she told The New Yorker magazine that Weinstein raped her at her home in Manhattan in 1993.

Weinstein cannot be charged with raping Sciorra because the statute of limitations has expired.

The judge denied a prosecution request that Sciorra be allowed to give evidence at Weinstein’s trial because she had not testified before a grand jury as required under US law.

The new indictment will allow her to testify, which could strengthen the prosecution’s case.

Judge James Burke postponed the start of the trial to January 6, 2020 to give Weinstein’s defense time to prepare. It had been scheduled to start on September 9. (AFP)

 

TINGGALKAN BALASAN

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

CAPCHA * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.